What better holiday is there for kids than Halloween? They wear fun costumes and get bagfuls of treats.
But before your kids start digging into their piles of candy, there are a few tips that Chief of Police Frank Papapietro wants to share with you from New Jersey Poison Information & Education System:
Never allow children to eat candy until it has been inspected by parents or caregivers. Eat only treats in original and unopened wrappers.
- Trick-or-treat at homes of friends and neighbors you know — never accept candy or fruit from strangers.
- When trick-or-treating at night, children should use a flashlight or glow stick to light the way and allow them to be seen in the dark.
- Trick-or-treaters should wear brightly colored costumes made of flame resistant materials.
- Liquid from a broken glow stick is usually non-toxic, but if your child ingests it, call the poison experts if you are unsure or have any questions.
- Wash hands or use a hand sanitizer after trick or treating, petting animals or picking pumpkins and apples.
- Use non-toxic face paint or make-up as an alternative to wearing a mask. Beware of peanuts or peanut oil in candies, for those with allergies.
- “Bee” aware — yellow jackets are often active around farms and garden centers during the warm days and cool nights of fall, especially around fallen or rotting fruit. Those with sensitivity to stings should carry an antihistamine or bee sting therapy.
- Be mindful of pets. Treats such as chocolate can be poisonous to dogs or cats.
- Make sure any items that can cause choking, such as hard candy, are given to children of an appropriate age to avoid choking.
- Don’t drink unpasteurized cider.
- Lock up medications, especially those that can be mistaken for candy.
Call the toll-free poison center hot line, 800-222-1222, with any questions about Halloween safety or for any poisoning emergency.