Living at the Jersey Shore is wonderful, even though I don’t go on the beach and never go in the ocean. Instead, I always search out the best restaurants.
Trouble is, so few restaurants offer you a view of the water, whether it’s the ocean, the bay, the river or the canal. I can never understand that.
Same goes for great seafood. I watch the trawlers come and go through the Manasquan Inlet with the catch of the day or tasty clams and scallops. But there are so few great seafood restaurants at the Jersey Shore.
Shame, shame on restaurant owners.
Far too many pubs, bars, restaurants or whatever you want to call your favorite watering hole serve the same bill of fare: fried appetizers, not so good pizza and barely creative special dishes.
So when I find a truly great restaurant, I feel blessed. Restaurants with a view of the water is a definite plus for me. A creative chef is a keeper, too. Cold beer also is great, although I’ve become sophisticated (can you believe that?) and now love a martini or two. But I do drink responsibly, so no nasty emails, please.
I’ve found a few good places with a view at the Jersey Shore. Cherish them like I do because there just aren’t that many good ones.
My all-time favorite restaurant with a beautiful view of the ocean is long gone: Top of the Mast in South Seaside Park. It was the very best. A long, long bar faced the ocean. The food was outstanding. And the lobster tail I always enjoyed there was marvelous.
I think you will find my favorite restaurants with a view to be very good, especially Mister C’s Beach Bistro in Allenhurst, where the bar also faces the ocean much like the Top of the Mast did.
I was even at Mister C's one night when it began to snow. I sat at the bar with dear friends Karen Marzulli and Chico Perrotto, owners of the place.
It doesn't get any better than that.
I've put together a list of waterfront restaurants that I think you will enjoy, as I did:
- Atlantic Bar & Grill, 1020 Fourth Avenue, Seaside Park.
- Bahr’s Landing, 2 Bay Avenue, Highlands.
- Bay View Terrace @ Key Harbor Marina, 2 Point Road, Waretown.
- Dutchman’s Brauhaus, 2500 East Bay Avenue, Manahawkin.
- Jenkinson's North Pavilion, end of Broadway at the ocean, Point Pleasant Beach.
- Martell’s Tiki Bar, on the boardwalk, Point Pleasant Beach.
- Mister C’s Beach Bistro, Ocean & Allen Avenue, Allenhurst.
- Rooney’s Ocean Crab House, 100 Ocean Avenue, Long Branch.
- Seaside Crab House, 901 Boardwalk (above the Aztec), Seaside Heights.
- Shipwreck Point, 20 Inlet Drive, Point Pleasant Beach.
- Stella Marina Bar & Restaurant, 800 Ocean Avenue, Asbury Park.
- Sunsets, 302 South Concourse Ave., Neptune.
E-mail Don Wilno at email@example.com with your favorite bar or restaurant. I want to know.