According to Mayor Ann Subrizi, 80 percent of New Milford has had their power restored since Sandy's punch took down wires and caused damage at the substations. That leaves 20 percent of the town still in the dark.
Although there are still a few large sections of town that remain without power, PSE&G reports that these are primarily sub-station circuit problems. Once the circuits are fixed at the substations, PSE&G workers will repair the transmission boxes that affect individual houses, as appears to be the problem in the Birchwood area of town. Once the transmission boxes are repaired, power will return to those individual houses that are still without power.
PSE&G has been importing help from all over the country to help restore New Jersey's power. For the Bergen County area, they are using the Garden State Plaza as a staging area.
"It helps that they have the extra help from outside the state," Subrizi said. "I'm hoping for a lot of progress today."
The Leonia Police Department reported that one worker from out of state was electrocuted Saturday while working on a line repair and transported to the burn unit at St. Barnabas Hospital in Livingston. His condition is unknown at this time. That caused a delay as all work was ceased to evaluate the situation.
"At least they (PSE&G) are here and working on the problem," Subrizi said, noting that there are still towns in Bergen County where PSE&G has not started working yet.