5 Must See High School Musicals
With rain predicted through the weekend, why not stay dry inside and see some great high school theater?
After the spectacular weather we had this past week, there can be no doubt that spring is in the air. And so are high school spring musicals. Area high schools are offering a garden variety of shows that are sure to lift your spirits without breaking the bank. So, enjoy a great night out and support our young performers.
1. New Milford High School 9 to 5: The Musical: Directed by Jonathan Silver (NMHS 05) and produced by Alexander Diaz (NMHS 03), Director of Education & Outreach at Bergen Performing Arts Center, this musical takes you back to 1980 and will have you humming along with all those memorable Dolly Parton tunes. Choreographed by Liberty Cogen, this isn't just theater. This is theater at its finest.
8:00 p.m performances Fri. and Sat. Tickets are $15/adult and $10/student.
New Milford High School is located off River Rd. on Snyder Circle.
2. River Dell High School Willy Wonka: Student actors and crew members will bring to life familiar faces like Charlie, Veruca, Violet, Mike and Augustus along with an ensemble of Oompa Loompas as the children explore the Wonka Factory. Special effects abound in this production--from the Glass Elevator and Nut Machine to the Fizzy Lifting Drink fountain and a large TV and camera.
Performances on Fri. and Sat. at 8:00 pm and a matinee at 2:00 pm on Sat. in the high school auditorium. Tickets are $15 for adults, $10 for students and senior citizens.
River Dell High School is located at 55 Pyle St Oradell, NJ.
3. Fairlawn High School Nine: In challenging his crop of young talented performers, acclaimed director John Giresi chose the Frederico Fellini spin-off “Nine.” The show follows an international film director who faces crises of both personal and professional confidence heading into his 40th birthday.
To reserve tickets for “Nine,” call 201-794-5450 x1536. The show runs through Sunday. All shows start at 8:00 p.m., except for Sunday’s finale, which begins at 3:00 p.m.
Fair Lawn High School is located at 14-00 Berdan Ave Fair Lawn, NJ.
4. Don Bosco The Will Rogers Follies: This happy-go-lucky musical is based upon the life of Will Rogers, the Oklahoma born cattle wrangler, who became an internationally known vaudeville entertainer, actor, author, humorist, and political pundit.
Performances are at 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday. Tickets are $15 for all ages, and seating is general admission.
Don Bosco Prep is located at 496 N. Franklin Turnpike, Ramsey, NJ
5. Ridgefield Park High School West Side Story: Based on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, West Side Story is a classic piece of ethnic Americana. With the streets of Manhattan as its stage, West Side Story pits the tension of a white American teenage gang, The Jets, against a rival gang of Puerto Rican immagrants, The Sharks, while two young lovers try to cross racial boundaries within this clash of cultures.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $7 for students and seniors.
Ridgefield Park High School is located at 1 Ozzie Nelson Drive Ridgefield Park, NJ.